Re: why the new config process is a *big* step backwards

From: Tomas Szepe (szepe@pinerecords.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 10:32:12 EST

> [rpjday@mindspring.com]
>
> (apologies to those who are thoroughly sick of this topic, but
> i'm now firmly convinced that i don't much care for the new
> config process, and i'm curious as to whether it's just me.
> Answer: probably.)

Robert,

please study scripts/kconfig/*, not how one particular frontend is.
The new kernel configurator is actually a big improvement over the
traditional stuff we used to have up to 2.4. Okay, it is a fact that
xconfig is far from great, but that doesn't matter -- the important
thing is Kconfig provides a clean, generic system for the actual kernel
configuration. As I already pointed out a fortnight ago or so, the
only config frontend likely to stay in linux.tar in the long run is
menuconfig, serving as a reference to userland people who are certain
to come up with heaps of different Kconfig frontends (that is when
2.6 ships I guess).

If you need a nifty graphical frontend right away, I suggest you
go ahead and write the first off-tree xconfig.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>