Re: Bugs and Releases Numbers

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 10:07:08 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:53:36AM -0500, Richard B. Tilley (Brad) wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Richard,

> How are bug patches worked into the current stable release? For example,
> the ext3 file corruption bug in 2.4.20, was that patch worked into the
> kernel or will it be included in 2.4.21? I'm confused about the exact
> details of this type of thing. If the patch was worked in to 2.4.20, how
> can one tell as the release number doesn't/hasn't changed?

the kernel that was released as 2.4.20 will never be changed.

The ext3 problems are fixed in the 2.4.21-pre kernels and the fixed ext3
code will be in 2.4.21.

> Thank you,
>
> Brad

cu
Adrian

--

"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed