Re: inefficient RT vs efficient non-RT

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 03:04:44 EST

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 02:58:44 EST, Mark Mielke said:
> Think about it logically -- if I can process 5X as much data as you can on
> the same hardware, but I can't guarantee that *at* 5X no data will be lost,
> but then, I only run at 1X (the same speed as you), how many packets have
> a chance of being lost?

The question is, of course, whether you're willing to bet the entire
chemical plant on the chances of a packet being lost.

There's a difference between "if the core temperature hits 350
degrees, the pump WILL go on in 13 milliseconds" and "if the core temp
hits 350 degrees, the pump will have a 98% chance of going on sometime
between 13 and 17.5 milliseconds..."

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer