Re: 2.5: Link errors are shown in the wrong files

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 17:14:14 EST

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:42:16PM -0600, Kai Germaschewski wrote:

> Here I get e.g.
>
> drivers/built-in.o: In function `isdn_audio_put_dle_code':
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0xe2247): undefined reference to `save_flags'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0xe224c): undefined reference to `cli'
> drivers/built-in.o(.text+0xe226f): undefined reference to `restore_flags'
>
> which is actually correct. My ld doesn't output the name of the file the
> function was in at all, though. I'm rather sure that you're hitting a
> binutils bug, possibly triggered by the use of the ld during the kernel
> build, which creates multiple levels of composite objects (ld -r) before
> the final link.
>
> Maybe you updated binutils and that's when the problems started?

It might be a bug in binutils but if it's a bug in binutils it's only
triggered in 2.5. I've seen it in 2.5 for several weeks now and the 2.4
and 2.5 examples I sent in my initial mail were both from today's
compilations and there was definitely no package upgrade on my system
between them.

I've attached the .config that triggered it in 2.5.55.

> --Kai

cu
Adrian

--

"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed