Re: Problem in IDE Disks cache handling in kernel 2.4.XX

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 12:02:44 EST

> > And by the way how are powered off the IDE drives ?
> > Because a FLUSH CACHE or STANDY or SLEEP is MANDATORY before
> > powering off the drive with cache enabled or you will enjoy lost
> > data.
>
> We always issue standby or sleep commands to a drive before powering
> off which means the cache flush thing should never have been an
> issue.

I experienced drives spinning back up after they had been flushed on
powerdown, which is not necessarily wrong, (I.E. I never noticed any
data loss), but it's not ideal. Can't we do:

* Standby
* Flush
* Standby

or is there a reason not to? I know there were discussions about the
right order to do the standyby and flush, and as far as I remember, we
never reached a conclusion :-).

John.