RE: detecting hyperthreading in linux 2.4.19

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 03:43:51 EST

Pallipadi, Venkatesh writes:

> [...]

With smp_call_function() I execute code on exactly those CPUs the kernel
knows about. If the physical processors support HT but the kernel can't
run on the non-#0 logical CPUs (UP kernel or "noht"), then smp_call_function()
won't reach those logical CPUs #1 and everything's fine: my test will say
"not HT" which is exactly what I want in this case.

The point about checking the "local APIC physical ID" in CPUID 1, EBX,
instead of the field in the local APIC is _exactly_ because the CPUID
data is assigned by HW and read-only, while the local APIC field can be
changed. I don't want to depend on possibly-broken MP or ACPI tables or
have to know about the kernel's physical <--> virtual CPU # mapping de jour.

> I know that sibling table is not exported. But I couldn't get your other
> comment about sibling table "they distinguish between logical CPUs #0 and #1:"
> Can you elaborate..

The sibling table tells you whether two linux-numbered CPUs are siblings,
but it doesn't tell which one is logical CPU #0 and which one is #1.
That distinction is important in some cases.