Re: DMA timeouts on Promise 20267 IDE card

From: James Curbo (phoenix@sandwich.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 00:12:57 EST

On Jan 09, Ross Biro wrote:

> I believe the low bit set in the dma_status means that the DMA transfer
> is still in progress. Since the timer has expired, that means it's been
> in progress for 10 seconds. Odds are the drive has stopped responding.
> Since it's a Western Digital drive, it probably needs to be powercycled
> to come back.
>
> I don't think this is a problem with the controller card, but I could be
> wrong.
>
> Ross

Well, I have had the first drive for about a year and a half (I think)
and the second drive since August. I never had any problems out of them
with the same controller card on my previous motherboard (MSI K7T
Turbo). The problems didn't arise until the other day when I got my new
board.

The errors occur over and over; the drive will come back for a few
seconds and then the error will occur again. I usually reboot at this
point.

--
James Curbo <hannibal@adtrw.org> <phoenix@sandwich.net>
http://www.adtrw.org/blogs/hannibal/