Re: [patch 2.5] 2-pass PCI probing, generic part

From: Grant Grundler (grundler@cup.hp.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 20:09:06 EST

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:35:32PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The only real reason to worry about BAR sizing is really to do resource
> discovery in order to make sure that out bridges have sufficiently big
> windows for the IO regions. Agreed?

yes. And eventually to make sure regions don't overlap.

> And that should be a non-issue especially on a host bridge, since we
> almost certainly don't want to reprogram the bridge windows there anyway.

Current PARISC servers do not allocate MMIO/IO resources for all PCI devices.
Only boot devices are configured. Fortunately, default MMIO/IO address
space assigned to Host bridges seems to work - at least I've not heard
anyone complain (yet). But no one has tried PCI expansion chassis or
cards with massive (> 64MB) MMIO BARs.

Because of PCI hotplug, rumor is ia64 firmware folks want to do
the same thing in the near future.

> So I'd like to make the _default_ be to probe the minimal possible,
> _especially_ for host bridges. Then, the PCI quirks could be used to
> expand on that default.

That's reasonable.
pci arch code also has hooks to fixup host bridge resources.

thanks,
grant