Re: Wireless Extensions v16-3 - clean patches

From: Joshua M. Kwan (joshk@ludicrus.ath.cx)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 14:33:31 EST

Hi Jean,

> For 2.5.X : my Pcmcia cards still don't work with 2.5.54, so
> I'm currently no too worried about 2.5.X at the moment.

They didn't work for me either. But I read an old LKML post from about
3 months ago which said that since 16-bit PCMCIA cards are ISA based
one must enable CONFIG_ISA to get those sort of cards working, so I
did that and now everything is working just fine.

It's weird because i thought the WaveLAN/IEEE was a 32-bit CardBus
device.

> Also, the current WE16-3 may not be the final version, as I'm
> waiting for feedback from driver authors. Talking of feedback, which
> part of WE16 do you need and why ?

I like the enhanced iwspy support. It is currently working just fine for
me! Basically, it allows me to check on my server whether any vagabonds
are camping on my AP (running hostap), and if my dad says 'the internet
stopped working' i can see whether his wifi card crapped out. I don't
quite remember now but I recall having some problems with earlier WE
and hostap_pci using iwspy. It might not have been the fault of WE but
of some other factors with my hostap build, and in troubleshooting I
upgraded to WE16 to see whether it was the problem.

Another reason is 'just for the hell of it.' :)

Regards
Josh