Re: linux i386 stack trace

From: george anzinger (george@mvista.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 17:14:24 EST

"Roets, Chris (Tru64&Linux support)" wrote:

> I known nothing about i386 calling conventions, but I would like to analyse a kernel stack.
>
> I have the following stack trace :

It would help a great deal if you turned on frame pointers.
In the 2.5 kernel this is a configure option. In 2.4 you
may have to modify the Makefile.

In general the function arguments are pushed on the stack
(right to left) followed by the call which pushes the return
address. If frame pointers are used, the called function
then pushes ebp and then loads ebp with the current stack
address. This allows you to, given ebp, walk back the the
stack to each function. Locals pushed on the stack after
the ebp reg....

But some functions don't save the frame pointer even if
turned on, notably the interrupt and asm code around
interrupt and trap handling.

-g

> STACK TRACE FOR TASK: 0xc4cb6000(vi)
>
> 0 schedule+770 [0xc01130e2]
> 1 schedule_timeout+18 [0xc0112d42]
> 2 do_select+513 [0xc0140a11]
> 3 sys_select+820 [0xc0140db4]
> 4 system_call+44 [0xc0106f14]
> ebx: 00000001 ecx: bffff700 edx: 00000000 esi: bffff680
> edi: 00000000 ebp: bffff798 eax: 0000008e ds: 002b
> es: 002b eip: 4010e0ee cs: 0023 eflags: 00000202
> esp: bffff630 ss: 002b
>
> >> dump -x 3301670612 40
> 0xc4cb7ed4: c4cb7f00
> c4cb6000
> 00000000
> c29f3000
> 0xc4cb7ee4: c4cb6000
> 00000000
> c0274000
> c02b2540
> 0xc4cb7ef4: 7fffffff
> 7fffffff
> 00000000
> c4cb7f30
> 0xc4cb7f04: c0112d47 schedule_timeout+23
> c29f3000
> cc75e914
> c4cb7f54
> 0xc4cb7f14: 00000000
> c8dde7c4
> 00000001
> c4cb7f90
> 0xc4cb7f24: 00000000
> 00000000
> 7fffffff
> 00000000
> 0xc4cb7f34: c0140a16 do_select+518
> c4cb7f54
> 00000001
> c4cb6000
> 0xc4cb7f44: 7fffffff
> 00000001
> 00000000
> 00000001
> 0xc4cb7f54: 00000000
> c730f000
> 00000001
> bffff684
> 0xc4cb7f64: c17d83ec
> 00000001
> c0140db9 sys_select+825
> 00000001
>
> can anybody point me out where the arguments and the local variables are ?
> take for example
> int do_select(int n, fd_set_bits *fds, long *timeout)
> {
> poll_table table, *wait;
> int retval, i, off;
> long __timeout = *timeout;

> I t has 3 arguments and tree local variable
> I would be nice to have the same for ia64
>
> Chris
> -

George Anzinger   george@mvista.com
High-res-timers: