Re: [BUG - HRT patch] nanosleep returns 0 on failure

From: george anzinger (george@mvista.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 14:38:26 EST

"Fleischer, Julie N" wrote:

> George -
> In the latest 2.5.54-bk1 high-res-timers patches, it appears that
> nanosleep() is returning 0 (success) and not setting errno when an rqtp
> argument is sent that specifies a nsec value < 0 or >= 1000 million. In
> this instance, the POSIX System Interfaces doc states that errno is supposed
> to be set to EINVAL, and nanosleep should return -1.

Looks like I missed a line in the compatibility layer. I
found it and it will be fixed in the next release.

If you don't mind, I will add your test code to my
clock_nanosleep test code so this does not creep back in.

Thanks for the report.

-g

> In the 2.5.50 high-res-timers patches, behavior was as expected (i.e.,
> returned -1 and set errno=EINVAL). Unfortunately, I haven't looked at any
> patches since then to know exactly which patch stopped behaving as expected.
> A plain 2.5.54-bk1 kernel also behaves as expected (returns -1, sets
> errno=EINVAL).
>
> The tests I am using to reproduce this issue are part of the POSIX Test
> Suite at http://posixtest.sf.net under
> posixtestsuite/conformance/interfaces/nanosleep. 5-1.c (sending -1 nsec),
> 6-1.c (sending multiple nsec values < 0 and >= 1,000 million), and 10000-1.c
> (sending other nsec values < 0 and >= 1,000 million) are failing. I've
> included 5-1.c below.
>
> Additional information is below:
> kernel used = 2.5.54-bk1
> HRT patches applied =
> hrtimers-core-2.5.54-bk1-1.0.patch
> hrtimers-hrposix-2.5.54-bk1-1.0.patch
> hrtimers-i386-2.5.54-bk1-1.0.patch
> hrtimers-posix-2.5.54-bk1-1.0.patch
> hrtimers-support-2.5.52-1.0.patch
>
> Thanks.
> - Julie Fleischer
>
> ----
> test 5-1.c below
> (Output was: nanosleep() did not return -1 on failure)
>
> /*
> * Copyright (c) 2002, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
> * Created by: julie.n.fleischer REMOVE-THIS AT intel DOT com
> * This file is licensed under the GPL license. For the full content
> * of this license, see the COPYING file at the top level of this
> * source tree.
>
> * Test that nanosleep() returns -1 on failure.
> * Simulate failure condition by sending -1 as the nsec to sleep for.
> */
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <time.h>
>
> #define PTS_PASS 0
> #define PTS_FAIL 1
> #define PTS_UNRESOLVED 2
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
> struct timespec tssleepfor, tsstorage;
> int sleepnsec = -1;
>
> tssleepfor.tv_sec=0;
> tssleepfor.tv_nsec=sleepnsec;
> if (nanosleep(&tssleepfor, &tsstorage) == -1) {
> printf("Test PASSED\n");
> return PTS_PASS;
> } else {
> printf("nanosleep() did not return -1 on failure\n");
> return PTS_FAIL;
> }
>
> printf("This code should not be executed.\n");
> return PTS_UNRESOLVED;
> }
>
> **These views are not necessarily those of my employer.**
> -

George Anzinger   george@mvista.com
High-res-timers:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/