Re: Killing off the boot sector (was: [STATUS 2.5] January 8, 2002)

From: DervishD (raul@pleyades.net)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 15:35:48 EST

    Hi HPA :))

> Can we *please* kill off the stupid in-kernel boot sector?

    Yespleaseyespleaseyesplease... I posted a message here a long
time ago because I couldn't boot a raw kernel image with 2.4.x. Well,
it didn't work even with a emulated floppy image (El Torito, you
know)...

    I think that, with those good boot loaders out there, this piece
of code, that is architecture dependend, should be off-the kernel.

    IMHO, those saved bytes should be used to store another cool Tux
image or something like that XDDDDD

> People keep asking what's the harm in keeping it, and the answer is,
> quite simply: "because people continue to try to use it."

    Exact...

    You've got a very good and sensible idea ;)
    Raśl