Re: Fwd: File system corruption

From: Paul (krushka@iprimus.com.au)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 06:35:32 EST

Roger,

Thanks for the programme Roger!

I'm not sure if I did this right but.....

I ran the programme as follows: (I called it sandisktest :)

# ./sandisktest -b | dd of=/dev/hdc

then I dd'd the image of the flash disk to my local disk and viewed the file
through midnight commander.

What I have found is that just after the start of a sector, usually 43 to 45
bytes, 6 bytes are skipped and the sequence starts again. This continues
until the next sector starts, where the sequence corrects. This appears to
happen every 65536 bytes or some multiple of 65536. It may skip three blocks
of 65536 and then corrupt on the next block of 65536 bytes.

I would greatly appreciate some other ideas to try, I'm not game to start
hacking the kernel code quite yet :)

Paul.

BTW: I also tried a EXT2 FS and it corrupted files just as the FAT16
filesystem had.