Re: 2.5.54: radeonfb almost works

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@infradead.org)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 16:34:13 EST

> Just booting with video=radeon gives me a 640x400
> mode. There's some initial garbage (looks like early boot
> messages converted to graphichs at the wrong resolution)
> on the screen, but that isn't a problem. The low resolution
> is, though.

640x480 is normal.

> I first tried "fbset 1280x1024-60", which changed
> the resolution, but the console was still a
> small 640x400 thing in the upper left corner of
> the 1280x1024 display. Not very useful.

Because fbset is only useful for setting /dev/fb. You want to use stty
to set the resolution now. The advantage of this is we don't end up
with a console mode of 80 3/4 columns by 30 1/4 rows.
Try

stty cols 160 rows 64

assuming you are using 8x16 fonts.

> So I tried booting with video=radeon:1280x1024-32@60
> That gave me a blank screen, the monitor complained
> about "no signal".
>
> But I logged in blind, and ran fbset 1280x1024-60
> again. This gave me the console I want.
> 1280x1024 resolution, with 160x64 characters.

Sounds like a monitor timings issue. fbset cheats by taking
times from the /etc/fb.mods file. I'm working on patch
that was sent to me to deal with this.

> Another problem comes up when running X. Switching
> from X to some virtual console always gives me the
> "no signal" thing, and I have to type the fbset
> command blind before the console becomes
> visible. Switching back to X is never a problem.

Same problem again. It is a monitor timings issue.
We are working on this.