Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: Dimitrie O. Paun (dpaun@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 11:18:41 EST

On January 7, 2003 08:40 am, Richard Stallman wrote:
> These two cases are similar, but not in the way you think. In both
> cases a large structure that is basically GNU or of GNU has a
> component that is Linux or of Linux.

Richard,

You are a smart guy. I think you'd agree with me that this particular
battle (GNU/Linux) is lost. Assuming you are right, is it worth continuing
to fight? I know you have a very strong sentimental attachment to GNU,
and that's more than understandable. But in the great scheme of things,
it's a minor issue. As much as you like them to, people don't attach
semantics to names. Period. They just want a catchy label, and that's all.
Damn, they don't even know what a kernel is, let alone subtleties
concerning the naming.

Bottom line is, the are only so many hours in a day. You have so many
battles to fight, that would serve the community. Why continue this one,
when it's clear that all it's going is harming your reputation and
credibility. It's harming the community. Yeah, you could argue that
*if* things were different... but they are not! Given the present day
situation, it must be clear even to you that things can't possibly go
back, and all your doing is creating bad blood. Think about it.

--
Dimi.