Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 08:39:50 EST

    In the linked document, it is stated "Linux is normally used in a
    combination with the GNU operating system". I only wish to clarify, how can
    GNU be an operating system without the kernel?

GNU was not complete in 1992--we were still working on the kernel
of GNU. (Today the GNU kernel works but needs a few more features
to be really good to use.)

It would be more precise to say that "Linux is normally used in
combination with the nearly all of the GNU operating system." But
that sentence would be very clumsy. Instead we state these details
later on in the page.