Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@aitel.hist.no)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 04:08:00 EST

Andrew Walrond wrote:

> I am in almost complete agreement with you regarding the benefits of
> free drivers.
>
> But my point has evolved from this argument over nvidia and I extended
> the principles to my business to see where it would lead.
>
> I don't see rms saying "Non free software is bad, except games"

Well, I don't speak for rms, and I think there is a rather big
difference between drivers and games. I understand economic
motives. Of course you don't give away games when that is a total
loss. Giving away driver code (or at least programming specs)
wouldn't be a loss to nvidia though - because users would still
need to buy those cards.

Helge Hafting