Re: shmat problem

From: Dirk Bull (dirkbull102@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 03:14:17 EST

Thanks for your help. I also thought the memory mapping code I'm
porting looked funny. The code forms part of a simulation program where a
few processes have to share data in a data base. In the code they(the
original implementers) initialize a bunch of variables and then share these
variables as I've shown you. I've referenced W.R Stevens's UNIX programming
books and found no information on whether you could share memory other than
that on the heap (did not want to change their code to use pointers, not a
good idea to change too much of the original code). To end a long story,
Alex, thanks for the SHM_REMAP flag, would never have found it, you've saved
me a lot of time. Finally, in the code they share pages, therefor using
SHM_REMAP is not that unsafe, but still not good practice?

Thanks again.

Dirk