ext3 related oops in 2.4.{18,20} on sparc

From: Noah L. Meyerhans (frodo@morgul.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 22:36:47 EST

I consistantly get a kernel oops in 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 on my SPARC Ultra
1 when copying lots of data between two filesystems on the same disk.
The latest command I've been using is: "cd /mnt && rsync -var /usr/ ."
The command runs for a while, copying data, but then, before it
completes, rsync dies with the following error:
rsync: error writing 25 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)
rsync: error writing 69 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)

and an oops is generated. The machine still seems to run OK, though I
can't unmount the destination filesystem.

The oops message is attached, having been decoded with ksymoops. I
don't have any reason to believe there are hardware issues with this
machine. It has been very reliable for quite some time, and there are
no signs of problems up to the very instant that the oops is generated,
which seems to happen at a different point in the copying process each
time.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Let me know if you need more info.

noah