Re: Honest does not pay here ...

From: Steven Barnhart (sbarn03@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 19:51:11 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 19:07, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> Fine for us developers, but 99.5% of users wouldn't recognise a c
> function if it jumped up and bit them on the ass. If it doesn't say
> "linux supported" on the box, they won't buy it. Google? Source Forge?
> ./configure? WTFIT?. Where is their freedom?
>
> Until the manufacturers start providing good quality supported drivers
> for their hardware, binary or source, linux will stay exactly where it
> is now; a server room tool and a hobbyists playground.
>
> I for one think thats a real shame

You are just being silly. Any half-decent person (including my grandma,
seriously!) can set up distributions such as Mandrake and now maybe even
Red Hat. The problem I see, especially here (but atleast normal people
won't subscribe :P), is that a lot of Linux users hate proprietary
software and bla bla you get what I was going to say there. Anyways its
quite easy to set up a system and you no longer have to be a hobbyiest.
you did read IDC's predictions didn't you? Linux has a chance of
becoming #2 in the next year or so. Beats me what this had to do w/the
topic either..geez.

--
Steven
sbarn03@softhome.net