Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 18:58:17 EST

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Developing programs does not "cost money"--that is just one way to do
> it. But sometimes a person is in a position where he can develop a
> certain program only if he makes it non-free to raise money. If you
> are in such a position, unless you are going to make the program free
> software soon after, then the best thing you can do is not develop it
> at all. Someone else will develop a free program to do the job.
> Freedom is worth the wait.

Oh, but my backup can't just wait because the hard disk is
likely to die before someone comes up with a free software that does
better than Tivoli although this is sorta fragile on the systems I
maintain. Are you going to sponsor for RAID-1 for the meanwhile, until
the wait pays off?

--
Matthias Andree