Re: dummy ethernet driver

From: Dave Airlie (airlied@linux.ie)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 17:33:38 EST

> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 05:57, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > the patch is attached.. is there any reason why the dummy device doesn't
> > want to do this stuff? I'm just submitting the patch as a request for
> > comments on why this isn't done anyway in the dummy
>
> If you want to talk to local systems why don't you use the netlink
> interface/ethertap stuff ?

because I'm unconscionably lazy, and the VAX simulator code is already
written to use pcap and I'd rather not rewrite it, why fix something when
a quick hack will suffice :-)

my long term plan is too ethertap the simulator alright.. but moving along
the Linux/VAX project is primary, fixing simulator isn't :-)

I'm just wondering why dummy just do that bit more.. design decision? or
nobodys ever bothered?

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer