Re: Nvidia and its choice to read the GPL "differently"

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 12:13:28 EST

    By "GNU" you mean the Hurd?

GNU means the entire system that we set out from the beginning to
develop. The Hurd is just one piece of GNU--it is the upper layer of
the kernel.

                                That's not nice at all. Just where
    did you get your network stack from? How about the bulk of the
    hardware drivers?

The TCP/IP implementation in the Hurd comes from Linux, but the Hurd
as a whole is very different from Linux. (There are no drivers in the
Hurd.)

Linux is a small part of the GNU/Linux system, but there are
various reasons to call it "GNU/Linux" than just "GNU". See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu.

    So Freax is our kernel, and Linux is the OS.

Anyone for renaming this list to freax@vger.kernel.org?