Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 11:06:17 EST

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:44:49AM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Mark Mielke wrote:
> > A closed source product with an expensive price tag provides this
> > level of responsibility to customers. (at least in theory)
> Nope. Did anybody ever sue microsoft because windows crashed and ate
> the disk, destroying valuable data? Or for loss of productivity during
> downtime?

Then the problem is that companies get away with marketting poor quality
solutions. They wouldn't get away with it if they sold a car, or a baby
high-chair. Why should they get away with it for software?

Software managed by the community cannot have a single point of
responsibility. I'm telling you why companies initially don't like
such products. I'm not claiming whether it is right, or whether it
applies in reality. If you want to convince a company otherwise, you
can't ignore the concern. You need to convince them that their feeling
of security from closed source projects is unfounded. It isn't hand waving,
or general claims like 'when have you ever been able to get MS to pay for
its mistakes?' It is hard numbers. These are not easy to come by.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/