Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@aitel.hist.no)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 05:44:49 EST

Mark Mielke wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:43:22AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 17:37:53 -0500 Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> wrote:
> > > Then one day - everybody upgrades to a new version of Linux. My
> > > support lines start ringing off the hook.
> > To which the answer is 'we dont support linux 9.8.4 yet, sorry.'
>
> The question of responsibility remains unanswered. If the software causes
> unreasonable damage to the user's computer, who can be sued?

A question of little interest, since suing won't happen anyway.
The paid-for licences always include "This program may not
be useful for any purpose, we assume no reponsibility," and so on.

> A closed source product with an expensive price tag provides this
> level of responsibility to customers. (at least in theory)

Nope. Did anybody ever sue microsoft because windows crashed and ate
the disk, destroying valuable data? Or for loss of productivity during
downtime?
It can't be done. Forget about it. Paying for a os might get you
a support phone number, but _no_ more responsibility than free
sw downloaded from somewhere.

Helge Hafting