Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?

From: Andrew Walrond (andrew@walrond.org)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 04:50:51 EST

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Developing programs does not "cost money"--that is just one way to do
> it. But sometimes a person is in a position where he can develop a
> certain program only if he makes it non-free to raise money. If you
> are in such a position, unless you are going to make the program free
> software soon after, then the best thing you can do is not develop it
> at all. Someone else will develop a free program to do the job.
> Freedom is worth the wait.

Richard; this lovely view of life works great for (and not meaning to
belittle anybody's work here) small/self contained/trivial projects,
characterised by unix tools/apps which can be managed by one or a few
people in a reasonable timescale. I mean grep, sed, bison, dhcpd,
sendmail etc

But what about bigger projects? As stated previously, I develop computer
games. It takes 30+ people 2-3years continous effort and $3M - 10$M in
cash to produce.

This just isn't viable, under your model. A group of part time hobbyists
just aren't gonna complete a (non trivial) game in their lifetimes.

You say "the best thing you can do is not develop it at all. Someone
else will develop a free program to do the job."

I sincerely doubt it.

Sorry staff. Richard says you are all out of a job.