Re: aic7xxx broken in 2.5.53/54 ?

From: Dipankar Sarma (dipankar@in.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 02:32:04 EST

Hi Justin,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 08:14:06AM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > Looks like the aic7xxx driver in 2.5.53 and 54 are broken on my hardware.
>
> It looks like the driver recovers fine.

Not for long. It dies shortly afterwards.

> > aic7xxx: PCI Device 0:1:0 failed memory mapped test. Using PIO.
> > Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 25 on CPU 0.
>
> SERR must be enabled by your BIOS. I will change the driver so
> that, should the memory mapped I/O test fail, an SERR (and thus an
> NMI) is not generated.

I guess having to use PIO with aic7xxx is bad. MMIO failure is
what we need to investigate.

> Just out of curiosity, do you have any strange PCI options enabled
> in your BIOS? I remeber seeing memory mapped I/O failures on this
> ServerWorks chipset under FreeBSD in the past, but an updated BIOS
> resolved the issue for the affected users. It seemed that the BIOS
> incorrectly placed the Adaptec controller in a prefetchable region.

I didn't change anything in that box since it was delivered to me. FYI
it is an IBM x250. Would it help if I can get a PCI space dump and mtrr
dump ? FWIW, the older driver works fine. Does the older driver use
only PIO ?

Thanks
Dipankar