Re: [2.5.54] Oops IDE-SCSI and failure AIC7xxx

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 00:13:23 EST

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:00:17 -0700
> From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
> To: David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com>
> Cc: Paul Rolland <rol@witbe.net>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: [2.5.54] Oops IDE-SCSI and failure AIC7xxx
>
> > other then the memmap error (in my case device 0:10:0 I get the first
> > three lines of the driver init and then nothing. the machine
> > completely locks up (driver version on .54 is 6.2.25 but I've
> > had this same problem since .50)
>
> Some things to try:
>
> o Turn on the nmi_watchdog. See the help file in the kernel Documentation
> director on how to enable it for your system.

I will try this later

> o Compile in the debugging code for the aic7xxx driver and turn on some
> debugging options. Use your favorite kernel configuration utility to
> enable the debug code and use an aic7xxx command line like:
>
> aic7xxx=verbose.debug:0x12ff

I added this to lilo and it gets a series of messages that quickly scroll
off the screen

it starts with slave alloc 0
then starts the DV process and goes from state 0 to state 1, gives a
couple errors that I couldn't get and then goes into a loop

the looping messages are

sending INQ
timeout while doing DV command 12
command completed status=0x90000
entering ahc_linux_dv_transition, state=1, status=0x14005, cmd->result=0x90000
going from state 1 to state 1

thanks for your help, I was beginning to wonder since nobody had responded
to my previous messages.

David Lang