Re: Honest does not pay here ...

From: David van Hoose (davidvh@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 19:22:37 EST

Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> David van Hoose <davidvh@cox.net> writes:
>

>>Binary-only drivers are great as long as they work. Every such driver I
>>have used so far has worked perfectly.
>>I have only one problem with NVidia's driver: It refuses to compile
>>under 2.5.54 which requires me use X's nv driver or use 2.4.21 for KDE.
>>Anyone know how to get around that? :-)
>

> You get what you paid for. Go to the nVidia support forum and complain
> loudly. That's what it is there for. I'd probably say that they tell
> you to stick to the "released versions of Linux". If you consider this
> support policy sucky, well there is the ATI Radeon chip...

Very true. And if they don't want to support the beta kernel, that's
there choice. I'd rather them throw a driver in for people that use the
beta kernel for possibly testing new chipsets, know whether or not they
need to do revisions before their own driver can be released, and so
when the beta kernel is finally released that they'll have a driver
right then to provide.
The impression I am getting from the GPL argument is that people want
100% opensource drivers. Well, to be frank, I'd rather have a driver
that isn't 100% opensource to no driver at all. I think most everyone on
this mailing list agrees. If not, I'd like to know why.
Personally, I think Andre does a lot of good for the kernel. I don't
know of many desktop systems that don't use IDE. Without someone like
Andre to keep up support as well as he does, IMO a lot of people would
get left unsupported and end up not using Linux. Less Linux users means
less demand for Linux support from mainstream developers and hardware
companies. People want a name to be able to communicate to when they are
having issues. Some will find their way to this mailing list, but others
will look for something that has (or has better) support.

-David