Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-free drivers?

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 17:22:35 EST

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:33:48PM +0000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:
> >I have the freedom to use Linux and ClearCase. If closed source modules
> >were to be disallowed, it would be illegal for me to use this configuration,
> >and I would be forced to use HP-UX or Solaris, and not Linux.
> No, it wouldn't. Thats' what most people don't understand. You
> wouldn't have a license to GIVE AWAY a system which consists of Linux
> kernel and MVFS object module.

Just to point out - I said "If closed source modules were to be disallowed,".

Also - the question isn't whether closed source modules can be distributed,
as much as "can closed source modules that could not be compiled without GPL
source code (header files), be distributed?"

RMS wishes my configuration (Linux + ClearCase MVFS) to be illegal,
because he wishes to enforce an all-free ("free" as defined by RMS)
final product, and the existence of closed-source hardware drivers
(nVidia) or software extensions (ClearCase MVFS) are in the way of
this goal.

If he succeeds, I may lose the freedom to effectively use Linux,
because I don't *mind* buying good software, and I don't *mind* if it
is closed source. Why don't I mind? Because, with few exceptions,
closed source software for expensive price tags tends to be better, or
fuller in some way, in my experience. We live in a capitalist society.
Pretending that capitalism can be avoided is... not realistic.

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/