Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-free drivers?

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@intermeta.de)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 16:17:36 EST

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> [...] They say that open source usually leads to more powerful and
> reliable software. [...]

Who are "they" and how do "they" put proof to this claim? This is one
of the biggest lies of the open source community that I read again and
again.

Most of the open source software works "about so". Do we have a bullet
proof USB stack? WLAN drivers? DHCP code? ACPI? APM (which is about
what? eight years old?)?

Open Source code most of the times is a collection of code of various
quality from people who needed to "scratch an itch" or put a hack in
to "support just my configuration".

If you find a well designed and completely specified and developed
piece of open source software, you're almost sure to find a company or
an individual having been paid for developing it and the putting it
into open source.

Some open source code still gives me nightmares if I only think about
the filenames.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/