Re: Honest does not pay here ...

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 15:29:16 EST

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> Larry McVoy wrote:
> >The day that you take over the day to day running of the kernel effort
> >is the day that you get to enforce your rules. Linus provides huge
> >value that neither you nor anyone else provides. So he makes the rules.
> >If you don't like it, make a stink and withdraw your patches. They'll
> >get replaced right away.
>
> If you think no Linux copyright owner other than Linus can
> enforce their copyrights, then your understanding of copyright law
> is different from mine.

Adam,

This was just dropped in my lap.

---------------------------
Add IBM to this list with their QDIO drivers for OSA-Express on s390(x).

On S/390, IBM did the same as Andre. LCS drivers have been binary-only in
the beginning and have been released under GPL later after 3172 and other
LCS devices became obsoleted by IBM. QDIO is their current standard and
they don't want to open this channel protocol to their competition.

So i think, there is enough precedence even from the "big guys".
---------------------------

Now that you have clearly stated you are revoking usage of your work
except for GPL-ONLY.

Please list the files and functions you claim, under this decision.
If you are the sole copyright holder of a file it is clean and clear.
If you are not then you have a problem to settle with the joint owners.
I will ignore your claim on shared copyrights until you have a settlement,
if all persons holding copyright ownership agree with you then ...

How soon will there be a patch-war for everyone to stake a claim, and
screw the pooch ?

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group