RE: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Vlad@Vlad.geekizoid.com
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 14:28:03 EST

Dude,

  Give it up. No one buys the GNU/Linux thing, and on LKML, it's really
just noise. My understanding was that you acknowledged that the kernel was
"Linux" (or "Freax" as I once heard Linus refer to it on the radio, though
it was a professor of his that made him change the name, not an FTP admin)
and that most "Linux" distro's come bundled with 95% or so GNU software.
So, please - go join the Slackare, Debian, Red SHat, Mandrake, Connectiva,
etc mailinglists and rant about that crap, but please leave if off of LKML -
the signal to noise ratio is bad enough here without your "help".

  Also, I didn't see your answer to the question of weither hurd should be
called Linux/Hurd or not - given that you say much of what the rest of us
call "Linux" is, in your opinion, a derived work of GNU, and given that Hurd
borrows large chunks of Linux code, would you state your opinion on the name
for the record? Thanks.

Regards,
Scott Lockwood
http://geekizoid.com/