Re: Binary drivers and GPL

From: Shawn Starr (spstarr@sh0n.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 03:01:28 EST

Because when I look at the big picture.

If I look at a group of industries say, SCSI companies (say there are 3 only).

Company A: Releases specs to community to write a driver.

Company B: Refuses to release anything

Company C: Refuses to release anything

Now, because company A has released its specs Company B and C are free to view
this and use ideas to improve their products thus hurting company A.

Now company A sees the other companies improving the products due to their
specs being released and decides that all new products will be closed.

Now we have binary-only modules for all SCSI cards and more dependency on
companies which to me denies me access to newer kernels due to API
inconsistancies and thus kills my help in kernel development.

THIS is why I'm against binary drivers in the long run.