Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!

From: Milosz Tanski (mtanski@wideopenwest.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 00:33:04 EST

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:22:44 -0200 (BRST)
Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > I would rather look for constructive alternatives than just
> > criticize. In such a situation, I would look for a way to make the
> > program free.
>
> > If there is no easy way to make the same program free, there may be
> > a harder way.
>
> There is of course the business model used by the ghostscript
> people, used by tytso when he made resize2fs and also used by
> Andre Hedrick:
>
> 1) write the software, sell it for a profit for some period
> of time (eg. 18 months)
>
> 2) after that, release the program and its source code
>
> To the copyright holder, this has all the benefits of a strictly

Seams to me like a perfectly good idea, infact I want to use that for a
game i'm developing in my free time(wheter or not i finish this, is out
of the scope of the discussion :)), once i'm done i'm going to see how
much time i spent working on this. Then i'm going figure out a time
period and ammount of money that would be *fair* conpensation. then i
plan to release under a free licence (such as the GPL, haven't put a lot
of though into that part quite yet), depending if I make the set ammount
of money first or the set time passes buy (since chance are then i won't
make my set goal :|). If people (not even me) can make money to put on a
table this way, have a decent place to live, and have health insurance
then this model can't be bad.