Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?

From: Steven Barnhart (sbarn03@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 19:11:24 EST

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 18:44:38 +0000, Richard Stallman wrote:

Richard, you are missing the entire point, again. You must understand
that we all love free software and its benefits, that is why we all
strive to make the Linux kernel a success. The problem is not everything
is open source and if a proprietary application is just as good why not
use it instead of wasting the time and effort of to create a clone? That
seems to be all GNU is doing. Also as Larry McVoy introduced, developing
programs cost money and you can't always make the money needed to do
development costs. I do think it a good idea though that if you must
make some proprietary for costs atleast OSS it afterwards. Frankly, some
people don't care what they use. You're not going to change the world
well actually you *have* in a way but you're not going to change the
entire world.

> You can't have freedom while using ClearCase, because it is non-free
> software. What we really need is a free replacement for it. Will
> people write one? Our main influence on whether people do this is by
> what we say. A strong Free Software Movement will inspire more people
> to reject non-free software and write free replacements.

Basicaaly all you say is that first line except fill ClearCase with any
proprietary thing. The point is it makes no sense to clone something
unless you're going to make it better, making it 'free' don't count. I
am talking in features category. I understand our beliefs differ but I
really wish you could stop being so determined (if that's a nice way to
put it) and atleast except some of our decisions and beliefs as we
pretty much have to deal with yours.

--
Steven
sbarn03@softhome.net