Re: odd phenomenon.

From: sfr@canb.auug.org.au
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 08:25:10 EST

From: Dave Jones <davej@codemonkey.org.uk>

> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 11:48:33AM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>
> > Typically happens with any kind of intense disk activity slowing down
> > galeon's launch process. (Not only bk, but also for example updatedb
> > running in the background).
>
> Maybe, but bk was the only disk-thrashing type app I regularly
> have running when I've tried to reproduce this.
>
> Is your PPC32 box SMP ? I'm wondering why I don't see it on my
> athlon/P3 boxes, just on my dual P4.

I see this every morning on my laptop. Anancron starts my overnight
cron jobs (mostly find across the whole disk). So, it is not SMP
specific. I assumed there was some sort of timeout in galeon to make
sure it starts within a particular amount of time or just aborts it.
Always works the second time.

This is on 2.4.19-pre8 (usually) (I must build a newer kernel :-)).

Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell