Re: Gauntlet Set NOW!

From: Andrew McGregor (andrew@indranet.co.nz)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 05:01:40 EST

Or else find that the NV3x has some stonking quick CPU embedded, and apps
talk GLX to it...

Strange how noone objects to APM BIOS calls or ACPI. I suspect a similar
effect can be had by sticking some flash on the card, then mapping it
(cached in system RAM for performance, of course!) and jumping into it.
Then provide a proprietary app (for instance, the binary part of the X
server, for a video driver) to load the right stuff in the flash. For that
matter, you could just copy_from_user the code straight out of a userland
binary. Not to mention fun with FPGAs. Ever seen DOOM run on a system
with no CPU at all? I have.

There are umpteen ways one can frustrate the pedants, and nothing to be
gained on either side by their insistence. And plenty to lose, because how
many companies for whom Linux is already marginal will bother?

I reckon if this is pushed that NVIDIA will abandon Linux and just say 'You
want UNIX on ix86? Buy the drivers from Accelerated X or whoever, or use
FreeBSD'. And probably I will too, and go and use a BSD for my product.
And maybe Andre will too, and that just makes free software (meaning GPL)
look bad. Which would not be good for the world in general.

Andrew

--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 01:45:44 -0800 Andre Hedrick