IDE-SCSI grabs too many drives

From: Andrew S. Johnson (andy@asjohnson.com)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 03:21:38 EST

I have append="hdc=ide-scsi" in my lilo.conf file,
but when I modprobe ide-scsi, it grabs both the
CD-RW and the DVD-ROM:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
   Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9100 Rev: 1.0c
   Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   Vendor: RAITE Model: RDR-108H Rev: 1.7
   Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Shouldn't it just make only hdc a SCSI drive?

If I unload ide-scsi and modprobe ide-cd instead, I get this:

hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 4096kB Cache, UDMA(33)
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)

Of course, I can't burn CD's with this configuration.

I want the CD-RW as a SCSI drive, and the DVD-ROM as an IDE drive.

For some reason, mplayer only works when the DVD-ROM is an IDE
device. If I try to use the SCSI equivalent, it hangs.

So, how do I get hdc as a SCSI drive, and hdd as an IDE drive?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Andy Johnson