Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 20:30:11 EST

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 10:55:13PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
> Of course I and probably many others are moving to a new model for our
> games. I'm probably being more radical than most; Open Source client
> software. Useless of course without a connection to my server side code :)
> It's the first game I've produced that is pirate proof.

If the game is good enough, it isn't pirate proof. I believe that Blizzard
and other such companies have pursued this course in the past. The result?
The hackers watch the communication between the client and the server and
write their own servers. They even go so far as to pretend as if the practice
is legal by putting disclaimers on the "public servers" that state that
"you may only connect to this service if you have purchased a valid license
for this game." Of course, they don't verify license keys...

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/