Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Andrew Walrond (andrew@walrond.org)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 17:55:13 EST

Absolutely.

Putting out the source for a game would be financial suicide. Unlike
(most) corporations, Kids don't understand or care about licenses. The
trouble with digital data as we all know is that it is infinitely
perfectly reproducible. In my industry (games), that includes binaries :(

Of course I and probably many others are moving to a new model for our
games. I'm probably being more radical than most; Open Source client
software. Useless of course without a connection to my server side code :)

It's the first game I've produced that is pirate proof.

Somewhat like Larry's business model I think?