Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Mark Mielke (mark@mark.mielke.cc)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 14:33:53 EST

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:42:14PM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> This is very much like selling cars were the gas tank is locked, and
> you don't have the key. The gas stations have keys, but only
> some of them. So you can't fill anywhere.
> Or a tv that don't work on thursdays. Silly in the extreme,
> annoying for the user and no benefit for the manufacturer.

Balderdash! It is like selling a car with free professional
maintenance, but no manuals to allow you to repair your own car. :-)

It might be true that nVidia is actually limiting their market. Since
that results in loss of money to nVidia, and not to you, it really isn't
any of our call. If they are not yet comfortable with the GPL, then that
is the way it is. _I'm_ not comfortable with the GPL -- although that is
mostly Richard Stallman's fault, as I liked the GPL before he opened his
mouth...

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/