Re: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?

From: Marco Monteiro (masm@acm.org)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 07:16:01 EST

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 05:12, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2003, Marco Monteiro wrote:
>

> > It won't work? Most of the software you use is Free Software. I don't
> > see anyone using Linux and not using Free software. I use only software
> > that is Free, and I'm not limited by doing it, in any sense. And it
> > won't work? It IS working.
> >
> > And I don't buy NVIDIA hardware.
>
> Excellent you exercise your freedom of choice.
> Now do not take away anyone elses and all is cool.
> What is so hard about that?

Nothing, indeed! But what is wrong about those who strive to make
software Free for all?

What Stallman and others do is to incentive people to make Free
Software. I ask you, here and now, "Please, make all software that you
write Free." What is wrong with this? I'm not taking away your freedom
with this request. Then I say "I won't use your software because it is
not Free.", and "Don't use software that is not Free." Again, what is
the problem? It is really a good thing. Without all the Free Software
there was and is, Linux would be a fraction of what is today. Without
the GNU system, I, for one, would surely not run Linux!

We must let people fight their battles. And the Free Software battle is
a noble one!

--
Marco Monteiro

"If I cannot share it then I will not install it. If it requires me to mistreat others I would say no to it." --Richard Stallman - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/