Kernel module version support.

From: Wang, Stanley (stanley.wang@intel.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 09:25:31 EST

Hi, Rusty
I am interested in your module version support implementation. I've read
your
description about it.
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modversions_support.htm
l)
And I have some questions about the implementation details. Would you like
to help me to
clarify them?

1. How do you plan to store the version information of a kernel module that
will export some symbols?
(In the version table of "bzImage"? In a specified section in this kernel
module? In other place? Or don't
store?)

2. You mentioned that "modules which want to export symbols place their full
path name
in the .needmodversion section. Just before the kernel is linked, these
names are extracted,
and genksyms scans those files to create a version table. This table is then
linked into the kernel".
And I think we must recalculate all version informaiton every time when we
re built the kernel in this way.
Why don't we place all the module version information in some files just
like old days.

3. You mentioned that "these symbol versions are then checked on insmod". I
wanna whether it means
you would like to restore the "/proc/ksyms" file or QUERY_MODULE SYSCALL to
export the kernel version
table to the user space application.

Thanks a lot.

Your Sincerely,
Stanley Wang

SW Engineer, Intel Corporation.
Intel China Software Lab.
Tel: 021-52574545 ext. 1171
iNet: 8-752-1171

Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent Intel
Corporation