Re: observations on 2.5 config screens

From: Randy.Dunlap (rddunlap@osdl.org)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 20:55:53 EST

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:

[snippage]
| > It seems that the final option, "Preemptible kernel", does
| > not belong there. In fact, there seem to be a number of
| > kernel-related, kind of hacking/debugging options, that
| > could be collected in one place, like preemption, sysctl,
| > hacking, executable file formats, etc. "Low-level kernel
| > options", perhaps?

So long as they come after the processor selection or whatever
dependencies they have.

| Should go to "General config" IMHO.

But is General Config still above processor selection?
I made a patch for a second "More general config" at the end
of the main menu so that dependencies can be used.
Andrew Morton has it queued in -mm now.

| > Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
| >
| > First, there's no hint from that heading that hot-pluggable
| > settings are hidden under there as well.
|
| Well, PCMCIA pretty much suggests that, doesn't it?
|
| > In addition, why does "Bus options" not include the USB bus,
| > the I2C bus, FireWire, etc? A bus is a bus, isn't it?
|
| Yes, this is a valid comment. Placing USB under "Bus options"
| should be totally straightforward, but that one's for Greg KH
| to decide.

USB needs to follow the Input subsystem unless there's something
else going on regarding dependencies.

| > Multimedia devices
| >
| > How come "Sound" is not here? And (as we've already
| > established), Radio Adapters is not a sub-entry of Video for
| > Linux. :-) (And is there a reason why Amateur Radio Support
| > and Radio Adapters are so far apart in the config menus?

I agree.

Greg Banks has (had) a real nice program for checking
dependency ordering using Config.in files. It would be
very nice if it now worked with Kconfig files. :)
It could be used for this type of config reordering to
verify that things weren't screwed up. I used it when
I moved Network Devices to just under/after Network Options
to show that no dependency ordering was mangled by that patch.

--
~Randy