Re: RFC/Patch - Implode devfs

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 02:08:14 EST

        I have made a new version of my mini-devfs (attached below).
I have also made a first version of my devfs_helper program to handle
the functionality of devfsd on systems that use my mini-devfs.
devfs_helper is avaiable from the following location:

ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/pub/dist/device_control/devfs_helper/devfs_helper-0.1.tar.gz

        This version of devfs_helper only supports "EXECUTE" and
"MODLOAD" actions, which may be the only events that are really
necessary. In the future, I envision eliminating the "MODLOAD"
action, since it is equivalent to
"EXECUTE modprobe -C /etc/modprobe.devfs $devname".

        devfs_helper is currently 211 lines of C code. In comparison,
devfsd-1.3.25/*.[ch] is 3143 lines.

        Also, here is version 2 of my mini-devfs. I am embarassed
to say that I omitted Richard Gooch's copyright notice on his code that
I copoied into mini-devfs/numspace.c. This patch corrects that and
fixes a variety of other little problems. It also changes the directory
of this facility to fs/mini-devfs/. One change that is necessary for
operation with devfs_helper is that the event names are now in all
capitals ("REGISTER" and "LOOKUP") to match the format of /etc/devfsd.conf.

        mini-devfs has grown by 21 lines, mostly due to my restoring
Richard's copyright notice. Here is an updated size comparison in case
anyone is interested:

devfs 3614 lines 25,863 bytes
mini-devfs 650 lines 5,562 bytes
Reduction 5.6x 4.6x