Debian boot-flopppies and 2.5.53 dont mix

From: Ro0tSiEgE (lkml@ro0tsiege.org)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 16:38:59 EST

I've tried 5 different IRC channels and no one will give me any answers. I
created a Debian (woody) install cd for my laptop (no floppy) and the kernel
2.5.53 (2.4 and below have VERY weird issues with my pavilion notebook and
the ALi chipset, which still no one can give an answer as to how to fix
THAT), and it panics saying Unable to mount root "" or 01:00. Some people
said try root=/dev/ide/[etc..] but that doesn't work, I want to boot the
initrd for the install, not a partition on the hard drive. Please, how can I
accomplish this?? Sorry if I'm being cranky but everyone has been driving me
nuts and treating me like dirt in the channels.