Re: Poor performance with 2.5.52, load and process in D state

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 03:41:05 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> I wonder whether swappiness should be related to the speed
> ratio between storage types? How exactly?

It doesn't matter. Assuming the latency of the swap device is the
same as the filesystem device it cancels out. We're simply trying
to minimise the total amount of I/O.

> Having to play with tunables is not an ideal way to go,
> I hate to think that Andrew's (and others) work can go down
> the drain at the very next technology jump.

It's constant-access-time mass storage technology which will toss 20
years development down the gurgler. Top to bottom, everything is
designed to support the locality=bandwidth characteristics of spinning
disks.