[BUG] 2.4 series: IDE driver

From: Nico Schottelius (schottelius@wdt.de)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 08:58:46 EST

Hello list!

I just bought a new Fujitsu 20GB Hard disk for my notebook
and after transfering my old system to this disk I tried to boot
the system.

When the kernel tries to detect the partitions, it simply stops
doing anything.

Then I tried to boot with 2.5.5{0,2}, which works fine.
The 2.4 kernel debian ships with woody runs fine, too.
I have this problem in 2.4.{19,20}, didn't tested any other.

What makes me wonder is that the partition check only fails in the
following constelation:

   - 2.4.19/20 vanilla kernel
   - Acer Travelmate 524 [with Ali IDE Chipset]
   - Fujitsu 20 GB hd

If I change the notebook it runs fine.
If I change the harddisks it works fine.
If I use 2.5 series kernels it works fine.

Does anyone know what I can do to trace down why this happens ?
Or if it's simply a wrong .config configuration ? [Don't think so..]

Greetings,

Nico

p.s.: please don't forget to cc: me, I am not subscribed.
p.p.s.: system informations are attached.

--
Please send your messages pgp-signed and/or pgp-encrypted (don't encrypt mails
(public pgp key: ftp.schottelius.org/pub/familiy/nico/pgp-key)