IDE feature request

From: Milan Roubal (roubm9am@barbora.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 21:25:50 EST

Hi to you,
I tryed to find patch for kernel that allows more than
10 ide devices instaled on system with no luck.
I tryed to patch the kernel by myself, so it works,
but the patch is only change magic number 10 to 12.
I have got this:
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0x3020-0x3027,0x3016 on irq 11
ide3 at 0x3018-0x301f,0x3012 on irq 11
ide4 at 0x5040-0x5047,0x5036 on irq 12
ide6 at 0x5058-0x505f,0x504e on irq 12
ide7 at 0x5050-0x5057,0x504a on irq 12
ide8 at 0x5070-0x5077,0x5066 on irq 12
ide9 at 0x5068-0x506f,0x5062 on irq 12
ide: at 0x6020-0x6027,0x6016 on irq 12
ide; at 0x6018-0x601f,0x6012 on irq 12
so ":" and ";" isn't ideal, hdparm dislikes
my devices hdx and so on. Now I would like to try
more than 20 ide devices in one computer and I would like
to hear about any system solution of this real problem
to me. If the number of IDE devices supported will be increased
to 32, I think it would be ideal to any time.
Is there any special reason why is there maximum 10 IDE devices?
    Thanx for answer
    Milan Roubal
    roubm9am@barbora.ms.mff.cuni.cz